Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Little women grow up



This large format illustrated version of Andersen's Thumbelina was published in 1978.
It was created by Nicole Claveloux, a French artist that I am planning to feature again soon
on Animalarium. I love this book for its unusual structure, which alternates pages of text
with spreads packed with sequences of small illustrations that can be visually read in  
a variety of ways.





The illustrations are beautiful and funny, and the abundance of details on each spread
is very appealing to children and visually oriented adults like me.






But I love this version also for its feminist ending, in which Thumbelina refuses to marry the King of Flowers
choosing instead a life of freedom and travels in the company of her swallow friend.




Click on the photos to view them at full size!

3 comments:

  1. Nicole Claveloux is great! One of my favorite illustrators ever. I have a lot of her books and comics.
    Dont forget to mention her version to Alice In Wonderland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look at the pictures and feel transported to another world straight away , amazing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you can see both the 1970s and the 1870s in the illustrations. Thanks for introducing me to a new artist.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails